By Jeffrey Melnick
9/11 Culture serves as a well timed and available advent to the complexities of yankee tradition within the wake of the Sep 11 assaults.
- Gives balanced examinations of a vast catalogue of artifacts from movie, song, images, literary fiction, and different well known arts
- Investigates the ways in which 11th of September has exerted a shaping strength on quite a lot of practices, from the politics of femininity to the poetics of redemption
- Includes pedagogical fabric to help realizing and educating, together with movie and discographies, and an invaluable lecturers' preface
Read Online or Download 9/11 Culture PDF
Best communication & media studies books
Those amassed papers are serious reflections concerning the fast digitalization of discourse and tradition. This disruptive switch in communicative interplay has swept swiftly via significant universities, state states, realized disciplines, best companies, and govt enterprises in past times decade.
The proliferation of media and their ever-increasing position in our way of life has produced a powerful feel that figuring out media—everything from oral storytelling, literary narrative, newspapers, and comics to radio, movie, television, and video games—is key to realizing the dynamics of tradition and society.
'Sex Scene' means that what we've got come to appreciate because the sexual revolution of the overdue Nineteen Sixties and early Nineteen Seventies used to be really a media revolution. In vigorous essays, the participants learn more than a few mass mediaufilm and tv, recorded sound, and publishinguthat supply proof of the circulate of intercourse within the public sphere, from the mainstream to the perimeter.
'Courageous reporting - learn this publication! ' Michael Moore_x000B_Original hardback version of this long island occasions bestseller.
- White Magic: The Age of Paper
- States of Inquiry: Social Investigations and Print Culture in Nineteenth-Century Britain and the United States (New Studies in American Intellectual and Cultural History)
- The New Journalism, the New Imperialism and the Fiction of Empire, 1870-1900 (Palgrave Studies in the History of the Media)
- Media and Memory (Media Topics)
- New Digital Media and Learning as an Emerging Area and "Worked Examples" as One Way Forward (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and Learning)
Additional resources for 9/11 Culture
Just above, I used the phrase “cultural work” and it is this concept, with its focus on what popular arts do, rather than what they are (in some purely aesthetic, non-social way), that guides 9/11 Culture. While there have been predictable attempts by cultural gatekeepers to name this or that work as the great statement of post-9/11 consciousness (as with Bruce Springsteen’s The Rising record and Don DeLillo’s novel Falling Man), the people – bumper sticker logic notwithstanding – have not stood united.
No doubt. Spike Lee’s 25th Hour? Yes. But the children’s movie Chicken Little? Steven Spielberg’s Munich? Television’s Lost? The first major proposition of this book, then, is that 9/11 and its cultural and political fallout have functioned as the answer to countless questions of social import. We may not now be living “9-11, 24-7” but that seems an error only of degree and not of basic approach. Figure 1 Doonesbury on 24/7 9/11 culture. Source: DOONESBURY © 2003 G. B. Trudeau. Reprinted with permission of UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE.
In this supremely narcissistic film (countless comedians take their turn one-upping each other in telling their version of an old dirty joke) the filmmakers give us a glimpse of manic comic Gilbert Gottfried doing a routine at a Friar’s Club roast of Hugh Hefner on September 29, 2001. The film has built to this moment, letting us know that after all the renderings of rape, incest, pedophilia, and the most amazing exchanges of bodily fluid, this is going to be the truly transgressive moment. Director Paul Provenza drapes an almost mythological aura around this performance and lets us finally see Gottfried.